Thursday, May 17, 2012

Flaunt your cause - Down Syndrome NSW

Today I am linking up with the Flaunt your Cause link up, hosted by Emily and Lindsay.

I am really happy to be part of this as there are so many great causes out there.

OK, so let me start by saying there is no one charity I donate money to regularly. I am the type of person that donates to many charities when I can. My workplace does charity collections every second Friday and I always donate there. There are so many good causes out there, that I can’t just pick on. Most are worthy.

The place I volunteer for isn’t a charity as such. I volunteer for Down Syndrome NSW. There is a group called the UP! Club which is a group for those aged 17-40 to meet in a social setting.

I had been wanting to volunteer for a long time, but I was never sure where. I have a family friend who has a son with Down Syndrome so I looked in to Down Syndrome NSW to see if there was any volunteering I could do. I came across the UP! Club and thought it had great values and was a really great group for people who might not be able to see their friends in a social setting like this.
 
The UP! Club activities range from bowling, the cinema, going to the pub, karaoke, museums etc. It is a time for friends to get together to hang out and have fun. Us volunteers are there to assist and make sure everyone enjoys themselves.

My role as a volunteer is to go along and have fun. I am not there to tell people what to do, I am merely there as a point of contact and to make sure I can help if anyone needs assistance and to make friends and have fun. The last activity I went to, I had a blast and met many new people.

I apologise for the lack of pictures in this post, but due to privacy I can't put pictures up of other people.
 
Flaunt Your Cause

4 comments :

  1. Hey girl, thank you so much for sharing a post about the volunteer work you do. It sounds wonderful! I had a chance to volunteer with some folks with Down Syndrome (just for one day) in 2010 and it was a BLAST! It's a true reminder that we're much more similar than different.

    Thank you so much for the volunteering you do and for sharing your cause with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great volunteer opportunity, Rhiannon! I have one cousin with Downs (and another with Autism). A program like this is so important, and I'm happy that there are people like you who make themselves available to these young people and provide a safe and comfortable place for them to hang out and be active, both physically and socially! Thank you for what you do!

    P.S. I'm your newest follower! Thank you SO MUCH for joining the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome cause!! I used to work with several people who had Down Syndrome and they were such amazing people. I loved their sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's so great that you are involved in this group! Thanks for sharing! I'm late to the linkup (I was out of town all week) and am just catching up!

    ReplyDelete