Friday, July 5, 2013

A new job

When I started in my current role at work, a little over a year ago; it was my intention to stay for about 2 years. Then a manager approached me about a month ago to ask me to move in to another team. Doing the same thing, but for a different industry. I wrote in this post about the struggle to decide which path to take. I wasn’t too pleased as although I had a choice, it felt like it was already made for me. I also felt like it was a bit of a step back. One day at lunch, I was speaking to a guy who told me one of his team members were leaving. He said the role would be advertised internally and I should apply since I was finishing Uni this year. The role is a step up and would be the official start of my career. He said it would be challenging, potentially longer hours (not all the time) but good for my career.
I ummed and ahhed for a couple of weeks going back and forth between the two options. Fear told me to choose the easy job, but logic told me to choose the hard job. I spoke to S, I spoke to colleagues, I spoke to managers. I went back and forth and finally made the choice to apply for the harder job to see what happened.

Well, I am happy to say I had nothing to worry about as all feedback I have gotten has been positive. I start the role in a few weeks (when the busy period in my current role finished). I am nervous, but I am excited. I never really wanted too much of a career and this might be premature to say, but the more I get a taste, the more I want.
I am so glad I did not let fear get in the way of applying for this job!

1 comment :

  1. Glad to hear that! It's often too easy to take the safe option but I'm glad you went for the harder job.

    PS: Enter the Cosima Skincare giveaway today: http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2013/07/cosima-organic-skincare-review-and.html

    ReplyDelete