Friday, February 21, 2014

Hair care

I used to not really care what products I used in my hair. Garnier, Herbal essence etc were regulars in my trolley and over time, I realised these products were the reason my hair was dry and gross. Garnier made my scalp feel like I was wearing a silicon cap! I switched to sukin upon recommendation from a friend and had a horrible time with it. I would wash my hair and dry it and it would feel oily and tacky to touch. I thought I wasn’t washing my hair properly so gave it a few more tries before looking for a new brand.
 
Next on the list was Alchemy. I LOVE the smell of the jojoba conditioner which is what drew me in originally. After washing my hair with alchemy, I found my hair took longer to dry than usual and when it did, it was thick and hard to straighten. This pretty much coincided with my hair cut from long to short hair and I thought that was the problem for a while and stuck it out. My hair would be hard to get straight and there would be kinks and the under layer of my hair would flick one way whilst the top another, making me look like a 1950’s housewife with a bob. After a while, I was truly over it and longed for my long hair that was so easy to get right (even though it would kink or curl when I went outside anyway).
 
S’s sister had some Klorane shampoo/conditioner in our shower so one day I decided to try that out after reading the bottle and seeing that there was camomile in it. The shampoo glided on to my hair (I don’t know how else to explain that). There was lather, but not too much, it smelled nice and the conditioner went on just as smoothly. I dried my hair and already it was soft and almost straight. No more big frizzy lumps of half dried hair. I straightened it, went to work and came home with still perfect hair. I’ve since taken ownership of S’s sisters Klorane because it made her hair dry. I’ve been using it for about a month now and still my hair is fast to dry, easy to straighten and still looks good in the afternoon and even the next day. I haven’t looked like a 1950’s housewife in a month, yay!
All that to say, you can take recommendations from people but really, what works for one person won’t work for another. I resigned myself to thick, frizzy hair but after enough searching I found the product that works for me (for now, anyway). S’s sister has fine straight blonde hair and Klorane didn’t work for her. I have thick, curly brown hair and it is the best shampoo/conditioner I’ve used on my hair yet.
What products do you use on your hair?

1 comment :

  1. I am the same, people recommend things to me and I try them and it's hopeless. Right now I haven't dyed my hair in so long (trying to grow out red) and my hair is the healthiest it has ever been so I can get away with using the pink herbal essence shampoo (best smelling stuff) and Matrix conditioner. But when I'm frequently getting my hair done I use Kerastase. Hair is just a headache, even when I get it right it only seems to last a year at most and I change again.

    ReplyDelete